You can download a PDF version of the toolkit for workplaces and institutions here.
Create Economic Opportunities
- Adjust procurement policies and practices to enhance consumption of local foods, such as adopting menu plans and recipes which coincide with the local harvest season.
- Think creatively about promoting the sale of local foods through your organization.
Promote Education and Skill-Building
- Make healthy and local food information available to customers.
- Provide training and development opportunities for food service staff to strengthen healthy food planning, procurement, and preparation skills.
Maintain a Healthy Ecosystem
- Stock organic products when possible.
- Reduce food miles by sourcing local products.
- Establish a composting program.
Foster Residents’ Health & Well-Being
- Provide healthy, affordable choices to customers/employees.
- Speak to a dietitian at the health unit about healthy food resources.
- Support workplace wellness programs.
- Encourage customers/employees to join a Community Supported Agriculture initiative.
- Support workplace vegetable gardens.
- Establish healthy food purchasing guidelines with caterers and food service vendors to increase the number of healthy, regionally grown food options in cafeterias, vending machines and at special events and meetings.
Support Equal Access Opportunities
- Make fair trade products available when possible.
- Foster fair wages.
- Participate in gleaning programs that distribute excess produce from local farmers or gardeners to emergency food programs.
Celebrate Culture & Collaboration
- Participate in or sponsor local events and celebrations around food.
- Offer a diversity of food products and flavours.
- Celebrate food within your organization (e.g., organize a potluck lunch, share seasonal produce).